Pride & Prejudice


 Displaying image1.jpeg


     This is my old and well-loved 1945 copy of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.  It actually belonged to my mom (and before that I'm not sure; it is very old), but she also has another, newer copy of it, so she gave this one to me in 2012, when I first read it.  (Has it really only been a little over  four years?!  It seems like ages.)  

 Pride & Prejudice is arguably Austen's most popular and well-known novel, and it's one of the best, as well.  It wasn't the first Jane Austen I'd ever read, but it pushed me over the line into the current obsession I now have with all things related to Austen and her world.

 For anyone who hasn't read the book or seen the movie (and if you haven't, you totally should do both!), I will lay out a brief intro in my own words, beginning with the opening line of the book:

 "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of good fortune must be in want of a wife."
 It all begins when Charles Bingley- said single, rich man- relocates to Netherfield Park, a country estate near Longbourn, the Bennet residence.  Mrs. Bennet is determined before she even meets him that he will marry one of her five daughters.  Upon their first meeting, Bingley is immediately smitten with the lovely eldest, Jane, while his best friend, the excessively rich and proud Mr. Darcy, looks down his nose on the entire community, especially the Bennets.  This causes him to clash with the lively, witty second eldest daughter, Elizabeth who has formed an unfavorable first impression of him.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ed/aa/b3/edaab3c4062018b1b5abafdc182e41a0.jpg 

  Seriously, I count this classic among my most favorite stories ever written.  It's just so good and clever and all around funny with memorable characters and such sweet romance.  *Warning: Some spoilers ahead.*

 Elizabeth Bennet is a fabulous heroine.  And, well, if you have not at least once in your life heard of Mr. Darcy and all his greatness...where have you been for the last two hundred years?  Mr. Darcy is like some sort of standard that everyone compares men to.  He sets the bar pretty high.  The only guys who are right up there with him are...fictional.  (Comment if you want a fictional character crush post!)

Image result for pride and prejudice 2005 elizabeth and mr. darcy


 My favorite part of P&P is...well, it cannot be limited to one part, but it is simply any exchange between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy.  Their witty banter is so adorable.  I love the way their story plays out amid all the other things going on around them.  The best part of the romance between Lizzie and Darcy is the way they change each other for the better.  Darcy is humbled when she refuses to marry him, telling him exactly what she thinks of him.  He doesn't want her of all people to think badly of him, which causes him to do everything he can to make things right.  When Lizzie sees the goodness in him, she, of course, learns not to be so prejudiced upon first impression.  It's really a story anyone could learn from.

 The story takes so many twists and turns that it was hard to put down when I first read it, having then not yet seen any of the film adaptations.  I really should re-read it, I think, sometime in the near future.

 Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:

http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m79x03prm41rq27uuo1_500.jpg
  
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/16/96/8f/16968f2f3a0a7d31f638e95d1759cef3.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/45/eb/9b/45eb9b799c422c574ff499ff11ae00c2.jpg
 https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/e4/a7/7d/e4a77d810a615476bf36765a34d9cbba.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6d/b7/b0/6db7b0e5cd716af5b7e7567f6c947567.jpg 
Thanks for taking a moment to listen to me ramble about this fantastic work of fiction.  Comment below and tell me your favorite P&P quote or part of the story. :)

Comments

  1. Lovely!! I adore Mr Darcy's second proposal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! He is so much more sensitive the second time around.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Recommended Posts

Tolkien Week Tag

AMA Answers | Part 1

The One Where I Do Period Hairstyles On My Sister