Christmas Memories

Image result for christmas memories

   I dug back in my diaries this evening and was reading my Christmas entries in years gone by.  I just felt like sharing something sentimental tonight, so here are some of my little Christmas memories.
 
Image result for snowflake waltz
   Dec. 2011:  This year I performed in The Nutcracker Ballet for the first time.  It was one of the most exciting times in my life.  There were busy rehearsals, fabulous costumes, and two magical nights of the actual performance.  Also, my youngest cousin was born just a few days before.  It was a very blissful holiday season.  The highlight of my Christmas gifts was the beautiful ballerina nutcracker my mom and dad gave me.  It's really special to me and now sits on my nightstand during the Christmas season. 
Image result for snowy house at night
   Dec. 2013:  It was our first Christmas at our new house, and we were still settling in.  It was also the year that my great-grandmother passed away exactly one week before Christmas day.  That was probably the saddest Christmas I can remember.   But we managed to have a close family Christmas (as always), buried in a good few feet of snow.  I remember that we lounged around and watched the stand-up comedy DVD my mom got for her mother, and I helped my Nana set up her new iPad.  After all, it was a good Christmas, knowing that my great-grandmother was spending it in a better place, celebrating in a glorious way. 

   Dec. 2015:  Funnily enough, I remember thinking to myself last Christmas, "What if this is our last Christmas here...and we don't even know it?"  Five months later, we were moving.  Honestly, last Christmas was a happy one, even without snow.  We had a Lego Advent Calendar last year because my two younger sisters are really into Legos.  And we went with our cousins to see Star Wars VII, which was awesome (and also tearful). My sisters and I made each other gifts.  I carefully chose materials that made me think of them and sewed infinity scarves for each of them.  

  There will always be those other memories.  The little things.  My sisters and I snuggled up around my mom while she read Christmas stories to us.  Bundling up in our pretty pink puffers to play in the frosty back yard.  Our puppy dog curled up under the tree, as she always loved to do.  Making Christmas crafts at school to hang on the tree.  My youngest sister watching Frosty the Snowman every. single. day.   Drinking hot cocoa and making Christmas cookies together.  Waking up at 5 am to run to the tree and see all the presents.  All those things are ingrained in my memory, and I fondly look back on them every year.

   I can only hope this year will bring many new memories for me and my friends and family.  Christmas truly is the most wonderful time of year, and so there's a little snippet of what Christmas has been like for me. 

Comments

  1. This post is beautiful and nostalgic. I love the way you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so sweet of you to say! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Elanor...what a beautiful post filled with the sweetest Christmas memories...they made me smile, truly they did! Ah...such wonderful things memories are indeed...
    A blessed, merry Christmas to you...I pray that this one has been beautiful for you and your family! May the Lord fill you with His perfect peace and joy as you remember and celebrate His coming to earth as a babe so long ago...
    With joy in Christ,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through Naomi's. And my goodness, you have a lovely place here. Your blog layout is so pretty. And your header is gorgeous! :D

    I enjoyed reading about your Christmas memories. Waking up at 5 am? Haha. I can totally relate to that. My siblings and I used to be so excited Christmas morning that we would get up at extremely early hours, until our dad finally told us that we couldn't get up before 5:00. So. We now get up at 5:00 on the dot. (My older siblings and I laugh about it now, wondering why we ever started a tradition like that, since getting up at 5:00 is not as fun as it used to be. We'd sleep in later now if we could, but our younger siblings won't hear of it. Heehee.)

    Anyway, just wanted to comment and say hi! I hope you had a lovely Christmas! :)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you very much, Miss March! And yes, I understand. My youngest sister is just the same :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Recommended Posts

Tolkien Week Tag

AMA Answers | Part 1

The One Where I Do Period Hairstyles On My Sister