10 Favorite Jane Austen Adaptations

Image result for jane austen
   Today is a special day, everyone.  It is actually the anniversary of Jane Austen's birth.  And, since she is the best authoress ever (don't even try to argue with me), I have decided to share my top 10 Jane Austen Adaptations (including movies inpired by or based on her work).  Note: I will only include one adaptation per story - though I know there are more than one for each of her novels.  Here we go:

10. Persuasion (1995)

Image result for Persuasion 1995
    Honestly, Persuasion is my least favorite of Jane Austen's novels.  I liked it, but I just didn't love it the way I did with the others.  I couldn't relate to pushover Anne - I mean, I get that she has a heart for serving others, but she has no confidence in her own heart until the end.  Also, Wentworth was not my favorite Austen gentleman.  But enough about what I didn't like!  In any case, Wentworth delivers one of the top most romantic lines she ever wrote, so... And the fact that in the end Anne makes up her own mind and follows her heart really helps make for a good romance after all.  This adaptation was wonderfully faithful to the book, which I liked.  (I really need to see the more recent BBC adaptation!)

9. The Jane Austen Book Club (2007)

Image result for the jane austen book club
   Despite some minor problems, I thought that this was a sweet story about modern-day Janeites.  It's interesting to watch how each of their situations relate to the novels they read in their book club and how they help in their own real-life love stories.  Hugh Dancy's character, Grigg, is the best!  He's just adorably hilarious.  Just made me realize how much more lovable is a guy who gets into Jane Austen.  ;-)

8. Northanger Abbey (2007)

 Image result for Northanger Abbey
    I liked this adaptation a lot, though it is hard to beat some of the others, which is why it ranks so low on the list.  The sets and costumes are charming, and the dark dreams Catherine experiences really draw out the effect of Gothic novels which Jane Austen implied in her writing.  While, again, it's not my favorite, I definitely enjoyed this mini series.

 7. Mansfield Park (1999)

Related image
    I do love Fanny Price.  She is probably the sweetest, most selfless Austen heroine.  Her tale is kind of a Cinderella story, and the end of this movie is so satisfying, seeing each character get exactly what they deserve - especially Fanny's happily ever after.  Fanny really reminds me of my mom in many ways, and maybe that's why I love her so much... 
(Just so you all know, the 1999 movie is a thousand times better than the 2007 mini-series.) 

6. Love & Friendship (2016)
Image result for love & friendship
    I cannot help loving this movie!  It's too funny and perfectly dramatic.  If you want to know all my thoughts on it in detail, check out my review.

5. Becoming Jane (2007

 Image result for becoming jane
   Personally, I love this movie about the life of the author herself.  Sure, it is a bit dramatized...but we will never know for sure what really happened.  Either way, I think it's lovely, and the actors are perfect for their roles.  The love story behind the novels is really fascinating, so if you haven't seen this one you really should.  (Now that I'm thinking about it, I need to watch this again sometime soon because it has been awhile.)

4. Austenland (2012)
 Image result for austenland movie
    This is the laugh-out-loud story of an Austen-addict who goes on her dream vacation to Austenland...and then gets hit by reality.  I love this movie and, while it is not a direct Jane Austen adaptation, it has many crossovers of her novels within the plot.  This Jane's adventures are funny and charming, and it's hard for an Austen fan not to enjoy this light-hearted comedy.

3. Sense & Sensibility (1995)
 Image result for sense and sensibility 1995
    My third favorite Austen novel is Sense & Sensibility.  Of course.  I really love the sisterly bond between Elinor and Marianne, the way they encourage each other and care about the other's lives and feelings.  They may be complete opposites, but they are also close friends.  As their love stories intertwine, there is a lot of emotion, but it is all so beautiful.  I honestly tear up every time, and it's the only Austen story that brings out the feels like that for me.

2. Pride & Prejudice (1995)

Image result for pride and 1995
  Alright, Pride & Prejudice in general is such a good story, but this mini-series is just perfection.  (It's an extremely close second to my number one!)  If any movie has ever brought a book to life, it's this one.  I just can't say anything else about it.  It's that good.  If you don't believe me, go watch it yourself

1. Emma (2009) 
 Related image
   However great Pride & Prejudice is, Emma is my favorite.  Favorite book - like, ever.  Favorite movie.  I just absolutely love it.  Emma is the queen bee of Jane Austen heroines (and her story itself).  I absolutely love Mr. Knightley, too.  The lovable characters and the perfect romance make Emma a story I can't read or watch too many times! 

So there you have it.  A quick write up on my favorite Jane Austen adaptations in honor of what would be her 241st birthday.

(Now, it's really late.  I started writing this morning and didn't get to finish until now.)

What's your favorite Jane Austen film adaptation ever? 

Comments

  1. My favourite Jane Austen film adaption ever is Emma 2009. I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Austenland! One of the funniest movies ever!! I also love Mrs Bennett in the 1995 version.

    Pride and prejudice is probably my my favorite. It's the only Jane Austen book I've read but I want to read Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so want to see Jane Austen's novel, Lady Susan, come to life on the screen...too bad that Love and Friendship is not yet out in South Africa! {{sniffs}} Ah, I adore Becoming Jane...one of my all time favourite period dramas! Thank you for this least, Elanor:)
    Blessings and love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had to comment on this post, too, because I LOVE JANE AUSTEN! And your top three favorites are my top three favorites. *high five* I can't decide whether I like Pride and Prejudice or Emma better, though. They're both SO good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite Jane Austen adaptation is the 1996 "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow, but I Di like quite a few on your list too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I *do*, not Di. Serves me right for using my phone instead of my computer...

      Delete
    2. Oh, I like the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma, as well. I really am one of those that don't mind multiple adaptations of the same thing :)

      Delete
    3. High five to another person who likes more than one version of a story!

      I really need to see the 2009 version of Emma. My library has it, so it's mostly just a matter of me finding time for it.

      Delete
  6. Wow, I have only seen three of these. I need to try the others!
    The version that we have of Persuation is the BBC version. It is good, but the colors are a little dark.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recommended Posts

Tolkien Week Tag

AMA Answers | Part 1

The One Where I Do Period Hairstyles On My Sister