Tuesday, January 17, 2017

7 Favorite Film Scores


   If I have my earbuds in, there's a 90% chance I am listening to a movie soundtrack.  For some reason, I am obsessed with the instrumentals written for TV and movies.  Of course, I have a few favorites to share with you today.  So if you're ever in need of some powerful music, here are some recommendations for you.

   Note: I decided not to include musical soundtracks (sorry, La La Land, Les Mis, Phantom...) though those are some of the best.  Anyway, here's my list:


     7Victoria  -- Martin Phipps & Ruth Barrett

   After watching the series premiere of Victoria on Sunday, I have been entranced with this majestic score of music.  Honestly, I like the music more than the show (so far)! I recommend listening to it when you're on your bed at night with a candle burning, a pen in hand, and an open journal in your lap.


      6.  Star Wars VII -- John Williams

    It's no secret that I like the Star Wars movies, and the music is no exception.  The Force Awakens score is my favorite of them all.  (Rey's Theme is the best!)  There's something so inspiring about this music, and I like to listen to it when I am writing posts and stories and such


     5.  Cinderella -- Patrick Doyle

   The music for Cinderella is like a fresh summer breeze.  I find it's hard not to smile when listening to this score.  It's a good one to play while you're getting ready in the morning, just to start the day off in a cheerful mood.  :-)


     4.  Pirates of the Caribbean -- Hans Zimmer (& Klaus Badelt)

   There's hardly a good way to describe this epic score.  The sequence of tracks on this album is like a roller coaster.  It goes from fast-paced songs like "Up Is Down" to slow, almost hypnotic songs like Davy Jones' theme.  Listening to this is a great way to spark your imagination.


      3.  Downton Abbey -- John Lunn

   From the beginning suite to the jazzy club music, there is a glorious range of music in the Downton Abbey score.  This is perfect to listen to while you're participating in the 'downstairs' part of daily life (e.g. washing dishes, folding laundry, etc.) 


     2.  Emma -- Samuel Sim 

   I do love this soundtrack.   The mix of piano and strings is just beautiful.  It's the perfect background music to your morning cup of tea.  And it's also a lovely pick-me-up for a rainy spring day.


     1.  The Lord of the Rings -- Howard Shore

   If there's one case where the music is as amazing as the movie(s), then it's with this trilogy.   The score is just beyond words perfect.  It is always a good time to listen to the haunting Lord of the Rings score, in my opinion.


     Honorable mentions: ...alright, there are too many to list.  There are a lot of great film scores out there, and I have an entire playlist on Spotify of my favorites :-)  But I'd love to know what you would add to the list.


   Do you like to listen to film scores?  What are some of your favorites? 

10 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! I love musical scores! My favorites are from Star Wars, Downton Abbey, Robin Hood BBC, and P&P '95!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen or listened to Robin Hood BBC, but I'm starting to think I should do both:)

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! You definetly should!!! Well, that's coming from me, someone who is a little obsesed with ANYTHING Robin Hood.

      Delete
  2. Same here! The majority of the time that I'm listening to music, it's film score music. I too have a Spotify playlist that consists of mostly period drama soundtracks!

    I haven't listened to the Victoria soundtrack (or seen the show), but that cover is so pretty! I'll have to check that album out.

    Ooh yes, Rey's Theme! That song is awesome.

    Aww, the Cinderella album! I definitely agree with your description of it being like a summer breeze. :)

    The Emma soundtrack is so beautiful! I love how lighthearted and fresh it sounds. :)

    I also really like the Sense and Sensibility 1995 album and the P&P album. Loved this post, Elanor! :)



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it:) And yes!!! The S&S and P&P music - lovely.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I adore film soundtracks too, dear Elanor! Truly...I'll listen to them all day long...whilst sewing, washing dishes...lying down...so beautiful! You have listed a couple of my favourites... My others include 'Becoming Jane', 'Woman in Gold' (such a great film and amazing soundtrack!) and music from 'Fiddler on the Roof'.
    Thinking of you and wishing you a perfectly splendid week further...Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw, that's so sweet! Thank you, Kelly-Anne. I hope you have a wonderful week, too.

      Delete
  4. The music? Yes! I am not loving the show as much as The Young Victoria, though. But I'm trying not to judge until the end:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly seems like we share similar thoughts on music! I, too, love all of those - with the exception of Victoria, but apparently now I should look into this! Cinderella has some of my absolute favorites in the beautiful/inspiring/stunning category. Patrick Doyle also composed music for the 1995 Sense and Sensibility, so I was already a fan of his work. ;)

    ReplyDelete