Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A Period Drama Tag

     Miss March at Sunshiny Corner tagged me with this delightful period drama tag, so today I have my answers.  

   1. What's your favorite period drama movie?

     If you've been reading my blog, then you probably know it is Emma (2009).  No question.  It is the best.  But, Pride & Prejudice (1995) is an extremely close second.

    2. What's your favorite period drama series?

     Assuming 'series', in this case, equals TV show and is different than the mini-series I count as movies... Downton Abbey.

   3. Which Period Drama do you dislike the most?

     Honestly, I can't think of any I dislike.  Oh, wait... Gone With the Wind.  Yikes!  I know, I know.  But it is true.

   4. Anne of Green Gables or Little Dorrit?

     I adore Anne of Green Gables, anyway, but I have actually yet to see Little Dorrit.  (It's on my To-Watch list, since I do like Charles Dickens.)

   5. Your favorite period drama dresses?

I adore Emma's shimmery pink ballgown! (Emma 2009)
Lady Mary's charmingly vintage floral blouse and skirt -- I know it's technically not a dress.         (Downton Abbey)
Absolutely love this gown of Gwendolen Harleth's. (Daniel Deronda)
How about Lady Rose's wedding dress?  (Downton Abbey)
Both of these lovely pastel dresses, too.  (Love & Friendship)
     I think I should stop now, but there are many more.

   6. Who's your favorite period drama character?  (Okay, pick at least five.)

     Thank goodness I don't have to narrow it down to just one!  But I, too, am going to be creative and list favorite characters besides Jane Austen heroes/heroines.  Here we go:
Esther Summerson (Bleak House) -- She is so kind and generous, and I admire her big-sisterly care of Ada and Richard and pretty much everyone.

Tom Branson (Downton Abbey) -- Can we all just appreciate the adorableness that is Tom?  His ambition no matter what anyone says is inspiring and his shameless love of Sybil is dreamy.  (Yes, I love Tom Branson.  He is such a great character.  I could go on and on about him.)

John Watson (Sherlock Holmes) -- I always love how Watson is there for Sherlock no matter what.  He sticks by him through the thick and thin, even when Sherlock ruins everything for him.  John Watson is a true friend, through and through.

 Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) -- Of course, she has to be one of my favorite period drama characters.  Anne's imagination and passion, her complete zeal for life make her such a colorful and fun character to watch.

Jean Valjean (Les Misérables) -- Everything about Valjean's redemption story is tearjerkingly good.  His selfless care for others and his honesty and integrity even to the point of turning himself in to save an innocent man - I think there's a lot anyone can learn from the life of Jean Valjean.

Jo March (Little Women) --  I love Jo for her spirit and fearlessness.  She's not afraid to stand out and she knows what she wants.  And her love for her sisters is admirable.

   7. If you could join a royal ball, which dress would you wear?  (Pick a Period Drama dress)

     I really love this one from The Young Victoria.  It's definitely fit for a royal ball.

   8. What's your favorite Jane Austen movie?

     See question 1.

   9. Downton Abbey or Call the Midwife?

     Downton Abbey.  (I feel like I am repeating myself now :-)

   10. Sybil Crawley, Jenny Lee, Emma Woodhouse, or Marian of Knighton?

     Emma Woodhouse, of course.  

   11. Which couples of a Period Drama do you like the most? (Pick at least four)

Matthew & Mary (Downton Abbey)
Gilbert & Anne (Anne of Green Gables)
Friedrich & Jo (Little Women)
And, of course, my favorite: Knightley & Emma (Emma)
     
   12.  What's your favorite period drama villain?

     None?  I suppose if I have to pick one...does Irene Adler (Sherlock Holmes) count as a villain?  She does work for Moriarty after all.  Not that I really like her all that much, but more than Moriarty and other period drama bad guys.


     Thank you, Miss March.  That was quite fun! :-)

9 comments:

  1. You have a good taste, m'dear. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek! This was such a fun post! Thank you so much for doing it, Elanor. I really enjoyed reading your answers!

    1. EMMA 2009! Yeeees! And Pride and Prejudice! LOVE those movies! (But of course, you already knew that. Haha.) :D

    3. I've never seen Gone with the Wind yet, but considering that my sister didn't like it very much when she saw it I have a feeling I probably wouldn't like it very much either.

    5. Oh yes! Emma's ball dress. That one totally could have made it on my list, too. :) And Rose's wedding dress is gorgeous!!

    6. I love Branson! He's one of my absolute favorite characters in Downton Abbey. He and Sybil were SO sweet together. Too bad Sybil had to die so soon after they were married. :(

    11. Gilbert and Anne, Knightley and Emma... I agree with Naomi, you do have good taste! ;)

    You're very welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Miss March:) I do like a good tag now and then.

      3. I wanted to like it, I really did. But it just was not satisfactory. You might try it, though. My sister likes it, so maybe you will:)

      6. I know. Sybil's death broke my heart;( They are just so sweet.

      Delete
  3. Aww yes, Emma's ball gown! I adore that dress. <3

    I totally agree with what you said about Anne. She's one of my favorites, too. :)

    I loved reading your answers! And I just have to tell you that your blog design is so, so pretty. :D

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw, that's so sweet of you to say :) Thanks, Molly.

      Delete
  4. After this the pressure really is on me to watch the 2009 Emma. Those are lovely dresses you picked out!! I really want to see The Young Victoria now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, yes! If you have not yet seen Emma (2009), then you must, must, must!;) And then you could write a review for your blog. The Young Victoria is one of my favorites, too -- such a good love story.

      Delete
  5. JO AND THE PROFESSOR!! THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete