Reflection


      Yesterday was my birthday, and so for the past week or so I've done a lot of reflecting on the last seventeen years of my life.  Particularly this last year, in which I have experienced more new opportunities than in any other year my life.  So much has happened since January 13, 2016.  Some of it good, and some of it...well, some of it has pressed to mind the reminder that God has plans to prosper me and not to harm me if I just trust in him.

     Trust.  That's one big lesson He's been working with me on lately.  "Love always trusts."  So if I say that I love Him, I need to trust Him, fully and completely, without the slightest shadow of a doubt.  For me, that's taking a great deal of work!  I am naturally not a very trusting person.  I like to plan ahead and be in control.  However, if my life is ever going to be fulfilling, I have come to realize that it will only be through His will.  And that is, of course, where trust comes in.  Even when I can't see as far into my future as I'd like to, I can take courage in the knowledge that He can.  He knows everything that He has planned for my life.  He knows the purpose He has for me.  My life will not be wasted if I put my trust in Christ alone.

     One verse that has always been close to my heart is Psalm 56:3-4 -- "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust and am not afraid..."


     I like to believe I'm not afraid, but when I examine the truth behind my desire to plan and control, it boils down to fear.  That common fear of the unknown.  I think God is really helping me overcome this fear.  He has several times in the past year pushed me way outside my comfort zone like never before.  Believe it or not, I think it was good for me.  I think I needed to let some walls come down and just step out into the unknown for once.  Then twice.  Then a few more times before 2016 could be over.  And you know what?  I think I am a stronger person because of all those new situations I found myself in.  (I know, shocker, right? ;-)

      Have I completely overcome my fear and learned to trust without batting an eye?  Er, no, I'm not quite there yet.  But I'm still growing, still learning, still changing.  And I'm going to let God keep working on me until I am the woman after His own heart that He desires me to be.


     One of my biggest goals for this new year is to spend more quiet time in God's Word and in prayer.  So far, I am getting along fairly.  And as I become yet another year older, I think of it as another year full of spiritual growth opportunities and I am excited to see the ways God will push me even further this year than last.  ...Alright, at least I will appreciate it after the fact, even if the initial idea appalls me.  After last year's experiences, though, it's safe to say that I will be a lot more willing to step outside my comfort zone, now, knowing that it'll all be for my good.  Even if I can't yet see around the bend in the road.

Comments

  1. HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last week our homily was about taking reflection of our lives so this really works with that! It is so wonderful that you are really taking time to spend with God. You are a wonderful example!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw,thank you so much, MovieCritic!!!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Elanor!!!
    I really thought about this a lot. I love it that you want to spend more time with God. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel :) Yes, it's definitely been something on my heart lately, and so I couldn't help but write about it.

      Delete
  3. This was a wonderful post, Elanor! I can totally relate to wanting to plan ahead and make sure that everything will work out right, especially as I'm thinking more and more about college. Whenever I get stressed or worried by it, I have to remind myself, "Okay, the Lord has this all planned out, and I can trust in Him completely." It's very reassuring! I love those verses from Psalms that you shared. :)

    Oh, and happy belated birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thoughts, Elanor. And so true! May we all learn to trust God more in 2017.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Thank you, Miss March:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recommended Posts

Tolkien Week Tag

AMA Answers | Part 1

The One Where I Do Period Hairstyles On My Sister