I ❤️ Austen Week Tag

http://hamlette.blogspot.com/2017/02/i-love-austen-week-master-post.html

     It's finally here!  I Love Austen Week is a 7-day celebration of all things Austen hosted by Hamlette over at Hamlette's Soliloquy.  Be sure to click the image above to view other posts all about Jane Austen.  And, now, without further ado, here are my answers to the fun tag she created for the week.


   1. Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one?

     I read Sense and Sensibility, first.  The only movie I watched before I read its book was Persuasion.

   2. What is your favorite Austen book?

     That's a hard one because they are all so good... I have to say Emma though. 

   3. Favorite heroine?  Why do you like her best?

     That's even harder!  I love Elizabeth Bennet; she is such a witty, likable gal.  I feel like I relate most to Elinor Dashwood, honestly.  But I totally could be best friends with Emma Woodhouse!  I really have a reason to pick any of the 7 main heroines, but if I have to pick a favorite...I'll go with Emma Woodhouse.

   4. Favorite hero?  Why do you like him best?

     Mr. Knightley.  Hands down.  No question.  He is my absolute favorite ever.  Ever.  I love his gentlemanly sweetness, his unconditional love and loyalty to his lady, and his way of conversing with his own sense of humor.  He is just such a charming gentleman in his own way.  Perhaps he is not so dashing and proud as Mr. Darcy, but it's his genuine down-to-earth-ness that I like.  (I could probably write a whole book about Mr. Knightley and all his greatness.)

   5. Do you have a favorite film adaptation of Austen's work?

     Emma (2009) followed closely by Pride & Prejudice (1995).  For my complete ranking, check out this post here.

   6. Have your Austen tastes changed over the years?  (Did you start out liking one story best, but now like another better?  Did you think she was boring at first, then changed your mind?  Etc.)

     Never thought she was boring.  No, I loved Jane Austen from the start.  However, some of my tastes have changed.  I actually used to like Mr. Darcy best of her heroes, but now, while I still love Darcy, Mr. Knightley has clearly won my heart.  I have also come to appreciate some of the minor characters, which will be seen in a few posts I have upcoming. 

    7. Do you have any cool Austen-themed things (mugs, t-shirts, etc.)?

     Um...where do I begin?  First, my purple t-shirt, which I am actually wearing today (shown above).  It is awesome!  If you can't read it, it has the words of Mr. Darcy's famous proposal on it and a silhouette of Jane Austen's cameo.  I have two pins, which are pinned to the front of my purse: one is Pride and Prejudice and the other is I 💗 Darcy.  I have a Jane Austen coloring book.  I have a necklace which is a pink Emma book on a chain (which I also put on for the sake of this as shown above).  And one of my new favorite things is this Miss Bennet's Brew exclusive Jane Austen tea.  It is a-maze-ing!  I think that is it, though.

   8. If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her?

     It's too hard!  I have a year's worth of questions I'd like to ask her!  How can I narrow it down to just one???  Let me think about it.

   9. Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads.  What story do you want filmed, and who would you choose to act in it?

Jenna Coleman, Juno Temple, &  Hayley Atwell
     About a year and a half, maybe two years ago, I began to write my own conclusion to Jane Austen's incomplete short story The Watsons.  I would love to see my own work paired with hers in a film adaptation of it.  (Still editing and revising that novella, but perhaps one day it will be good enough.)  Anyway, as for the cast... I think it would be fun to have Emma Watson play the heroine who is also named Emma Watson, but I wouldn't really do that.  I actually would imagine a cast like this: Jenna Coleman as Emma Watson, Juno Temple as Penelope, and Hayley Atwell as Elizabeth.  (For the male leads, I am having a harder time thinking of actors that match up with my imagination's version of the characters. My imagination is just too good! :-)

   10. Share up to five favorite Jane Austen quotations.


     And, now, I have thought of my answer to number 8.  I would ask Jane Austen this: "Why do you write?"  I want to know her feelings, not a biographer's speculations.  What was the feeling she got when she wrote, what drove her to come up with new stories, and etc.  I want to know what inspired her and encouraged her in her own words.

      So that's that.  Thanks for the fun tag, Hamlette!  You had some great questions.  :-)

     Most of the other bloggers I know have already signed up to participate, so I only have one person to tag here, and that would be Kelly-Anne @ The Diary of a Country Girl

Comments

  1. Oh my word!!!!! Your shirt!!!!!!!!!! LOVE it!

    apologizing for all the exlamation marks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shirt and your necklace are so cool!!!!
    That is a good question!!
    Your answers are all so nice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you both, Morgan and MovieCritic:D

      Delete
  3. Why thank you for tagging me, Elanor! I would be thrilled to join in the Jane Austen delights! {{smiles}}
    Loved your answers to these questions...and Mr Knightly...yes indeed, I have to agree with you on that score! {{smiles}}
    And your T-shirt is gorgeous!
    Thank you for the tag...and for all the lovely comments you leave on my blog!
    Hugs,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, dear. I just had to know what you would say because I know you like Austen, too:-)

      Delete
  4. I love that shirt! A bookstore near me carries it, and I've almost bought it numerous times, but never quite managed to. Yet!

    Thanks for joining the party :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!!!

      And I have been delighted to participate in this party! It's so much fun so far, and, I must say, you have done a fantastic job of organizing it :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Elanor :-) I have lots of practice, as I've hosted a Tolkien blog party in September for four years running, so I've learned a lot about how to get things ready ahead of time and so on.

      Tomorrow, I'll post the first game!

      Delete
    3. Oh that's so cool! I love Tolkien.

      And I'm excited for the game tomorrow!:)

      Delete
  5. No way, I have that exact same shirt! I bought it last weekend. Isn't it awesome?! #twins ;)

    I totally agree with all that you said about Mr Knightley! I just love him. :)

    The quotes that you included are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Knightley is the best!! And yes! His humor. I love it!! :D

    You're writing a conclusion to The Watsons? How cool is that?! I actually started writing one once myself, but I only got about one scene written, which is typical of me. Heehee.

    I LOVE the question you came up with to ask Jane Austen. That is perfect. I'd love to know the answer to that, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting, Miss March!

    And, yes, been working on that conclusion for The Watsons for ages it seems! I have never worked on one story as long as this one before, but I don't seem to tire of it. I enjoy writing it more than anything I've ever written, and I am debating sharing some of it with you all in either March or April as I finish revising my original draft... I wonder if any of my ideas are similar to the ones you once had:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That would be splendid! I hope you do share some with us. I'd love to read it! :D

      Delete
  8. I love Emma 2009. It has become my "sewing movie" quite often. Since it was (for a time) the only Austen movie I could stream through my phone, I would set it up next to my machine and listen while I pinned and watch while I sewed. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a nice idea. Jane Austen + sewing seems like a pleasant combination:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Recommended Posts

Tolkien Week Tag

AMA Answers | Part 1

The One Where I Do Period Hairstyles On My Sister