Thursday, February 02, 2017

Romantic Moments of Period Dramas


   In the spirit of Valentine's Day, which is coming up this month, I would like to focus on some of the sweetest and most romantic moments of some of my favorite period dramas.  I know you all love couples who are in love every bit as much as I do, so enjoy! :-)
  
~ The First "I Love You" ~

Downton Abbey
     This isn't really a 'romantic' moment, but it's so sweet and tugs at my heartstrings. 

Anna:  I love you, Mr. Bates.  I know it's not ladylike to say it, but I'm not a lady, and I don't pretend to be.

Bates:  You are a lady to me.  And I never knew a better one. 

     *dreamy sigh*


 ~ The Second Proposal ~

Pride & Prejudice (1995)
     Alright, after Mr. Darcy's rude, condescending -- albeit, famous -- first proposal, Elizabeth is quite offended and rightfully so.  But her feelings change as Darcy himself changes and as he helps her family and makes things right.  Doing it all for her, as he himself freely admits.  So when he proposes again...

Darcy: If your feelings are what they were last April, tell me so at once.  My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on the subject forever.

Elizabeth: ... My feelings are so different.  In fact, they are quite the opposite.


~ On the Bridge ~
 
Anne of Green Gables - The Sequel

      The ending scene of Anne of Green Gables is so beautiful.  It's the point where Anne has finally come to her senses and realizes what she really wants for her life.  

Gilbert: I hope you keep on dreaming. It will be three years before I finish medical school, and even then, there won’t be any diamond sunbursts or marble halls.

Anne: I don’t want any sunbursts or marble halls. I just want you. 
 
~ Can This Be True? ~
 
Emma (2009)

      Who can forget Mr. Knightley's shy yet sweet proposal?  Oh, yes.  And Emma's reaction, too!  After she thought he was going to tell her that he was in love with someone else.  I would type up the dialogue for the whole scene because it is just perfect.

 Knightley: ...my most beloved Emma.  I cannot make speeches.  If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. ...

Emma: Can this be true?

Knightley: You'll get nothing but the truth from me.  So what do you think?

Emma: ... I find I do not know what to think.

~ Under the Umbrella ~ 
 
Little Women

      Jo's happy ending in the rain is one of the most adorable moments ever.  I can't keep from smiling whenever it gets to this part.  (And for all those who ship Jo and Laurie...no.  Just no.)

Friedrich: Will you have me?

Jo: With all of my heart!

Friedrich: But I have nothing to give you.  My hands are empty.

Jo:  *slips her hand into his* Not empty now.

     Of course, there are many, many more romantic and sweet moments in historical dramas.  These are just a few of the ones that particularly make me smile.

     What's your favorite romantic moment from any period drama? 

9 comments:

  1. Aww! What a sweet post to put together! I loved it, dear Elanor! {{Smiles}} I especially adore the scene from Anne of Green Gables you featured here...the bridge! {{happy sigh}}
    Have a delightful weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these!!! I defenetly didn't go for Jo and Larie after Jo met Friedrich. They are so perfect and that scene is so sweet it almost brings tears to my eyes. I love all the scenes you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHH! I LOVE MR. DARCY'S SECOND PROPOSAL!! The way they smile at each other! And how you can just tell that they're both bursting with happiness inside!!! <3 <3

    That scene with Gilbert and Anne is SO perfectly sweet. I feel really happy for Gilbert when Anne finally says yes to him. :D

    Oh, and EMMA AND MR. KNIGHTLEY!!! I LOVE THEM I LOVE THEM I LOVE THEM!! And you described the proposal perfectly. "Mr. Knightley's shy yet sweet proposal." Aww, yes. He really is almost shy in that scene, which is odd for him you know because he's not really a shy person. But I love the way he says "tell me what you think." It's like...gahhh! So adorable. :)

    Love this post, Elanor! What a perfect idea to post this around Valentine's Day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a hopeless romantic, I loved this post! I adore the under the umbrella scene and of course Bates and Anna!! Scenes I would add:

    1. Bingleys proposal to Jane ( Pride and Prejudice 2005)
    2. Ferris' proposal to Elanor( Sense and Sensibility 1995)
    3. Cathys confession of her love( Wuthering Heights 1992)

    Wuthering Heights is a period drama, right? Any way, those are just some I love <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never watched Downton Abbey ( just some clips) but yes to all of the other ones!!!!
    Enjoyed your post! Not sure if I've ever commented on here before but I enjoy reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Morgan:) I'm glad. (And if you haven't watched Downton, I would totally recommend you watch it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, what a sweet post! Mr Darcy's second proposal, the scene with Anne and Gilbert, and Mr Knightley's proposal would have to be my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just the sweetest?! Sometimes it's easy to envy those period drama heroines. :)

      Delete